søndag den 30. december 2012

Aquaponics 1 - thoughts on a cheap system

Hello all,
So i've kept fish in aquariums for several years now and at the same time tried to maintain a small herb garden. The last has been far from successful :-). So when I first read about the fascinating phenomenon called "Aquaponics", which combines these two hobbies, I was intrigued.
So I've decided to attempt to become an Aquaponical Dane :-).

I've a couple of quirky ideas regarding this:
1) I want my fish to stay healthy, the tanks to remain interesting, and make sure the fish are as happy as possible. This means I will keep plants etc within the tanks, although these will be competing with the plants we will hopefully be harvesting soonish.
2) I want the setup to be as cheap as possible. Hence I will not be buying any pre-made system nor any expensive parts. As a consequence I will probably have water everywhere in a few days time :-). 3) The project will have to be based on what I have already going on and what parts I can scrounge/ have stashed away.
4) I really want to see if I can keep costs to below 10-25$ in total.
5) Because of 2-4) there will be quite a lot of DIY, luck and curses involved in the project and if (when) things start to go wrong I'll need to find somewhere on the Net to gain help from...
6) I will be blessed with a very well cycled aquarium - theres a very healthy bacteria culture thirving in the tank, as well as a ton of micro and macro organisms living in the tank; Endler's Livebearers, snails, and Hyalekka azteca to name a few. Thus my problems will not come from keeping the fish alive etc, but from the Aquaponic system itself...

Wish me luck....

A fine example of Aquaponics frrom Wikipedia

For those not yet privy to the fascinating world of Aquaponics here is what information Wikipedia provides:

Aquaponicsis a sustainable food production system that combines a traditional aquaculture (raising aquatic animals such as snails, fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a symbiotic environment. In aquaculture, effluents accumulate in the water, increasing toxicity for the fish. This water is led to a hydroponic system where the by-products from the aquaculture are filtered out by the plants as vital nutrients, after which the cleansed water is recirculated back to the animals. The term aquaponics is a portmanteau of the terms aquaculture and hydroponic.
Aquaponic systems vary in size from small indoor or outdoor units to large commercial units, using the same technology. The systems usually contain fresh water, but salt water systems are plausible depending on the type of aquatic animal and which plants. Aquaponic science may still be considered to be at an early stage, relative to other sciences.

All the best,
Kasper

1 kommentar:

  1. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon. kitchen project Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know!

    SvarSlet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most popular posts